Hatfield Council Logo CMYK JPEG

Minutes of the meeting of the Resources & Policy Committee held via Zoom on Wednesday 9th June 2021 at 19:30.

PRESENT:

Councillor T. Wiltshire – Chairman

Councillor M. Bolitho

Councillor J. Bond

Councillor R. Griffiths ( substituting for Cllr. J. Brennan)

ALSO PRESENT:

Councillor M. Eames-Petersen

OFFICERS:

C. Lloyd (Town Clerk)

S. Frake (Head of Operations)

A. Ogilvie (Head of Estates)

1.               ELECTION OF CHAIRMAN AND VICE CHAIRMAN

Councillor Wiltshire was elected Chairman for the ensuing municipal year, Councillor Juggins was elected Vice Chairman for the ensuing Municipal Year.

 

Councillor Eames-Petersen nominated herself as Vice Chairman but as she was not a member of the Committee nor had a seconder for her nomination (had she been a Member), failed to receive any votes in favour.  Councillor Eames-Petersen advised that she had approached NALC for advice as she believed the actions taken at Council on 19th May were illegal.  The Clerk advised that the Labour Group would have the ability to nominate Councillors to the vacant seats on committees at the Council meeting on 23rd June as nominations had not been received at Council on 19th May.  Councillor Eames-Petersen disputed this as she could not hear people in the Sports Hall.

2.               APOLOGIES

Apologies for absence were received from Cllr Brennan and Cllr Juggins.

3.               QUESTIONS

There were no questions.

4.               DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

There were none

5.               MINUTES

Minutes of the meeting held on 3rd March 2021were approved and will be signed by the Chairman when possible.

6.               INTERNAL AUDIT REPORT 2020/21

Members noted the report from the Internal Auditor.  The Chairman advised that he had met with the internal auditor following her inspection of the accounts, without the Clerk or Head of Operations present (to ensure full transparency).  Feedback had been very positive regarding controls, reconciliation. Head of Operations advised that the point raised on the VAT  was under control and would be looking to provide further details before the full council meeting.

 

Members noted the historical inconsistences which had created problems with the brought forward balances and were reassured by the Internal Auditor’s explanation and recommendation on reconciliation to close down the inconsistencies with Internal Auditor written guidance provided in the next full council.

RECOMMENDED TO COUNCIL THAT;

(i)               The report be noted;

(ii)              The Head of Operations close down the inconsistencies in Sage to provide an actual balances brought forward figure subject to external auditors approval.

 

Action: Head of Operations

7.               AGAR 2020/21

Members noted the Annual Governance and Accountability Return.  It was noted that boxes 1+2+3-4-5-6 did not equal box 7 as the External Auditor had advised that s.106 Funds should be shown separately in the AGAR and not included in any of the boxes.

The Head of Operations undertook to provide Members with a breakdown of the s.106 Funding for Council and invited any interested Councillors to contact her direct for any background information.

The Chairman emphasised that income must be closely monitored during the year.

RECOMMENDED TO COUNCIL that the AGAR 2020/21 be approved subject to Head of Operation confirming that the External Audit question that the s.106 amount had also been excluded from the reserves at the start and end of 2017/18 financial year.

Action: Town Clerk

8.               FINANCIAL MATTERS

Members noted the following Profit and Loss to March 2021.  The Chairman emphasised that the council will continue to monitor this closely as it is essential that Members are aware how much the Reserves are diminishing so that action can be taken if necessary.


PROFIT & LOSS MAR 21

Period

Year to Date

Sales

Precept

70286.75

843441

Grants

14954.93

120420.29

Mayors Charity

0

-4180

Income

-38087.53

10561.18

47154

970242

Gross Profit/(Loss):

47154

970242

Overheads

Support Costs - Rent and Rates

1091.07

96108.8

Support Costs - Utilities

2529.58

36797.89

Support Costs - Civic/Democratic

0

1030.32

Support Costs - Printing/Stationery/Signage etc

2654.79

7765.28

All premises - Licences/Till systems/Broadband/Phone/Software etc

6669.44

40659.25

Support Costs - Equipment Hire and Rental

16.9

690.3

Support Costs - Maintenance & Upgrading

5949.23

47324.22

Support Costs - General Expenses

1.25

17549.55

Management & Admin - Bank/Card system Charges & Interest

561.02

4414.34

Gross Wages & Training, All other Staff Costs

26797.92

724835.9

Management & Admin - Professional & Audit Fees

-431

11492.4

Capital Expenses

0

11990.99

Support Costs Fuel

807.52

8191.07

Events/Walking Football/Help A Hatfield Child

0

1039.41

Support Costs - Premises expenses (We have had to pay some invoices for the insurance claim for Roe Hill which will be reimbursed by Zurich).

23686.35

70202.55

Supports - Gen Expenses

1372.09

24780.28

71706.16

1104872

Net Profit/(Loss):

 

-24552

 

-134630

In  2020/2021 we have used £135k from our reserve to run HTC as a whole.

PHYSICAL CASH IN BANK ACCOUNTS - AS AT 31 MAR 2021

CURRENT ACCOUNT =  £351030.64

 

SAVINGS ACCOUNT =  £554482.56

 

 

 


9.               HOWE DELL LEASE

Members noted the report of officers.  It was also noted that should the Council give up the lease, they could request a “Community use” clause with the school.

Members noted the costs incurred for running and managing the hall.

RECOMMENDED TO COUNCIL THAT;

The Town Clerk commence discussions with the County Council to work out the best way to hand the lease over to Howe Dell School and support community use.

Action: Town Clerk

10.            DRAFT LEASE FOR NEWGATE STREET VILLAGE HALL

Members noted the report of officers and the need to legally clarify and update the lease of the village Hall.

RECOMMENDED TO COUNCIL THAT;

The Town Clerk carry out discussions with the Village Hall Management Committee and report back to a future meeting.

Action: Town Clerk

11.            ELECTRICITY SUB STATION LEASE OF LAND (DE HAVILLAND GRANGE – OFF MULBERRY MEAD)

Members noted the proposed lease and RECOMMENDED TO COUNCIL that the lease be signed.

Action: Town Clerk

12.            FIXED ASSETS 2020/21

Members noted the list of fixed assets.  Cllr Eames-Petersen advised that she thought they could be arranged in a better way.  The Clerk advised that this was just a summary and the full asset register was available for inspection by Members should they wish to make an appointment to see it.

RECOMMENDED TO COUNCIL that the Asset Register be noted.

Action: Town Clerk

13.            REPORT FROM HEAD OF ESTATES

Members noted that the boiler at Oxlease required replacing as soon as possible as it also heated hot water.  RESOLVED that the Town Clerk be authorised to install a new boiler at Oxlease under emergency powers.  Of the 3 quotes received, the lowest quote of £2,700 be agreed and funding be taken from the “Projects” budget.

Action: Town Clerk

 

Members noted that a new boiler was required for the FunZone but as it was just for heating (not hot water too), the Committee RECOMMENDED TO COUNCIL that the lowest quote of £5,600 be approved.

Action: Town Clerk

Members noted that new doors were required for Lemsford Village Hall.  This was not a health and safety matter but required attention before the Winter.  RECOMMENDED TO COUNCIL that the lowest quote of £4,000 be approved

 

Action: Head of Operations to include a line item on the future view of the reserves in the R&P Financial overview going forward

14.            DATE OF NEXT MEETING

Noted that the next meeting of the Committee will take place on 21st July  2021 at 7.30pm.

 

Closure 8.40pm

----------------------------------

Chairman